Goal without a Race
I haven't ran a marathon since when--2006??? That's stinkin' five years ago! Unfortunately, life just hasn't allowed me or sometimes I haven't wanted to commit the time to run another one and I'm totally fine with that. I've never been one for races anyways, especially shorter ones. They give me the heebee jeebies. Others call it competition. I'm not good at it. I prefer to run my own race--a nice, easy, slow one...
Well, last year, I turned 40. I was really seeking hard, a goal, kind of like my 40-year old "thing". Besides, we had just moved back to the US and I didn't feel at all in prime fitness. I really needed a shock to my system. My sister and I had this great idea to run the Seattle R & R together. Run a marathon after a five long year hiatus?? Sounds like a good goal! I got all psyched up, to train by myself that is, because my sister and I are 3,000 miles apart. This running by myself thing is a huge goal in itself. Running those distances is one thing, but running them by myself is another. It can get pretty lonely, and I've never done long distances by myself. This was really where the decision needed to be made, because I know I can do the distance. I bit the bullet, I registered--then the training began.
While knee deep in training, things beyond my control (some within) came up. Which then led to the big question--Well, should I still do it then? After weeks and weeks of deliberating with myself, I decided not to fly to Washington to run the marathon. I'm really bummed to let my running partners down, but they're great friends and I know they understand!
But just because I'm not running the Seattle R & R doesn't mean the training has to stop! After all, I still have this 40-year old "thing" I have to accomplish! The distances have been a little mind-challenging, but after it's said and done, I love the sense of purpose that it gives my running life.
Today, was one of those long days. Armed with an apple in one hand, iPod in the other hand, RoadID on my wrist (yes, much needed in these parts), bright orange visor, Gatorade on my back, and last and most important, bug repellant on my legs--I was off. I ran half of my new neighborhood and a second neighborhood before I met my running buddies in my old neighborhood. I sure do miss running with them, especially when all it required back then was for me to walk out my door. Now, I have to make a plan and head out the door much earlier to meet them. A new friend joined us. She just started running and did very well today. She surpassed the distance that she did last Tuesday! Can't wait to spur her on next time!
I was at a pretty good click the first half. Somewhere in the middle/end of my route, I slowed down and couldn't recover at my faster speed. My apple and Gatorade did nothing to help me, nor did my Focus on the Family podcast! I managed to squeek in a few seconds faster towards the last two miles and COMPLETED my goal for today! Check! Done! As I sat on my front steps with my calves cramping, my soul thanked me and patted my back for a job well done! There may not be a race in my future, but there are definitely miles and miles of road just waiting for me to conquer. Until next long run...

Comments
Post a Comment