New Toy Brings New Pictures...
So I got a new toy! I've been wanting a new lens for my camera. I'm not choosy, any lens will do, but in this economy, I think I should be choosy and choose to pocket my money instead. Bummer!
This alternative popped into my radar some days ago as I was perusing through Amazon.com! Mind you now, I am not a professional, so what I say on this post doesn't carry a whole lot of weight, this is all for plain FUN! It was under $10 and looked like it would be a fun toy I can play with without breaking the bank. I played around with it last night, yes, while I was cooking our yummy dinner--that I will now share with you guys!
This is, yes, you probably know by now, our favorite, QUINOA! Once called "the GOLD of the Incas" is considered grain, but are actually seeds of a plant. This super food is not only high in protein, but the protein is a totally complete protein that includes all nine essential amino acids (making it ideal for all you vegans out there), especially strong in lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. It is also a great source of magnesium, iron, copper, and phosphorus. It's softy-crunchy in texture when cooked and taste a little nutty and definitely wholesome. It's not common in most kitchens, but I think it's gaining more and more popularity because the quinoa shelf at the grocery store is always empty! Check your local Costco--much cheaper.
While this yellow color is most popular, other varieties include, orange, purple, red, pink, and black. We were lucky enough to find red in one of the big city grocery stores. It wasn't a very big bag, so for this recipe, I added in just a half cup of red. So pretty! This is how you know quinoa is cooked. It becomes slightly transparent and the white germ has partially detached itself--looks like a white-spiraled tail.
Also added in this recipe are beautiful asparagus, peas, and some lemon rind. My new lens attachment did a super job of getting up close for these shots! Love it! Well, except for the peas. I was in a hurry. Dinner needed to be completed at some point! And the lemon rind, too. I need to try different compositions, but you get what you get, for now...
... and the result of all these ingredients:
...is a super colorful bowl of yumminess!!! Yes, there's chicken in there, too. Please check back tomorrow. When I get back from my run, I'll try to recap in my mind what I all put in here and post some kind of recipe and directions together. Sorry--it's too early to think about that kind of stuff. I was really anxious this morning to dig into what my camera produced. For now, you get pictures!
But let me not forget to mention--MY FAMILY DEVOURED THIS!
________________________________________________________________________________
Some hours later... Here I am vegging on my couch after a really awesome workout--I am pooped! Okay, let me recount the sequence of events that resulted in the yumminess above. Hhhhmmm, first a name. What should I name it?
Green Goodness (I like that name!)
1 1/2 cups yellow quinoa
1/2 cup red quinoa
2 cups organic chicken stock
1 whole chicken
2 lemons, one goes in with the chicken, the other in the dish3-4 Tbl butter
green onions, chopped
asparagus, cut in 1 1/2" pieces
green peas, about 4 ozs, half a bag or however much you want
parsley, chopped
sea salt and pepper
Earlier in the day, I baked a whole chicken sprinkled with salt, pepper and squeezed a whole lemon inside and out. Leave a lemon half inside the chicken and the other on the outside. Cover the chicken with foil and bake at 375 for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or 'til cooked. Shred chicken in bite size pieces. Set aside. A whole chicken might be too much for this dish, but it's up to you how much chicken you want. You can use rotisserie chicken, but I just chose not to. The size of those chickens scare me!
Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package. Let it cool and set it aside.
Then I just chill out for the rest of the afternoon 'til I'm ready to assemble.
Zest the second lemon, set aside.
Saute the white tops of the green onions in butter until softened, about 3 mins. Toss the green parts in the cooled quinoa. Add in the bottom parts of the asparagus first. Saute that for a few minutes, then toss in the rest of the asparagus until tenderly crunchy. Add the green peas, salt and pepper, and the lemon zest. Last, add in the shredded chicken.
Mix the quinoa altogether with the vegetables/chicken. Stir gently. You might have to mix it in small portions and squeeze the second lemon in the same portions so that the lemon is spread evenly. Salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Be prepared, this make a TON. Make sure you have a big bowl to mix it in. There will be plenty for dinner and lunches for the next couple days!
Enjoy! Hope my directions weren't too wacky!





Ooooo that looks SO yummy!!! Please don't forget to post the recipe!! I totally am going to make that! :)
ReplyDelete