in awe and ever so grateful


Have you ever been in so much awe about something and then ever so grateful to someone that shares that something with you?

Brian has a co-worker that apparently has a huge garden.  I've never seen it, but I'm assuming this because this man and his family has fed us for the past three weeks!

First of all, I'm in such awe that a few plants with just a little watering and care can produce harvest after harvest of vegetables enough to feed two or more families!  While it feeds, it gives valuable nutrition and energy to our bodies.  It just blows my mind!  It also makes me want my own garden.  Talk about FREE food!

We are ever so grateful to Brian's co-worker for sharing his harvest week after week.  He's brought us butternut squash, zuchinni, summer squash, onions, green beans, tomatoes, green peppers,  okra.  I'm not kidding either when I say that he has fed us for three weeks.  Every weekly harvest made enough meals for us for the week.  All I had to buy was meat to add to the dishes.  I look forward to Mondays to see what Brian brings home.  I am addicted!

Let me share with you my favorite dish to cook that uses up most of these veggies.  If you Google this dish, you will find more traditional styles.  I like to step out of the box and just throw in what I have available.  Which is why I love this dish and most Filipino dishes.  You can substitute most vegetables and it will still taste divine!

Pinakbet (Filipino Vegetable Stew)

  • pork (maybe 1lb)
  • garlic
  • onions
  • tomatoes
  • okra
  • butternut squash
  • green beans
  • zuchinni
  • summer squash
  • shrimp paste (found at your local Asian market)
  • pepper
  • water
Slice the pork into very small (maybe 1/2") bite size and saute in olive oil.  Set aside.

Saute garlic, then onions for about 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes.  Add pepper to taste.  Continue to cook until onions are translucent and tomatoes are wilted.

Add water, 1 to 1 1/2 cups depending on how many veggies you have.  Stir in 3-4 Tbl shrimp paste.  Add sauteed pork.  Simmer for about 5 minutes. 

Now here's where my analness comes in.  I divide up the veggies according to which requires more and which requires less cooking time.  So, I add the butternut squash first.  Leave that in for about 5-8 minutes, then add all the others that require less cooking and leave those in for another 5-8 minutes.  I mean let's face it, who wants mushy squash?

Traditionally, this dish is eaten with white rice.  We skip that part.  It's hearty enough for us without.

Sorry if the recipe and directions are a bit vague.  I never claimed to be a chef!  Let me know if you have any questions though.  I'll help!  Enjoy!


Comments

Post a Comment